On a bright sunny morning, there are few pleasures quite so satisfying as a brisk walk around Shipley Lake. The lake was once a rather grand fish pond and boating lake, part of the Shipley Hall Estate, the remains of which are still to be found atop Shipley Hill. Between 1889 and 1966, the whole area was transformed into what was known as Shipley Woodside Colliery. Parts of the old colliery are still to be found, although now held more as museum pieces. The old pit-head winding gear is probably the most prominent.