Tuesday 28 June 2011

Burnet

The name 'Burnet' is shared between the Burnet Moths (mentioned last Friday) and a group of plants called, Great Burnet and Salad Burnet.  This morning, we found a stand of Great Burnet (Sanguisorba officinalis).
The leaves are supposed to taste of cucumber and are as such, commonly used throughout the world as a salad ingredient.  It is also cultivated for it's medicinal properties which include the inhibiting of bleeding, and treatment of menstrual problems as well as being used as an external wound application.  The red, globular flower heads stand out above the plant and look good too.
About the same height, but far less colourful, is the second of this morning's plants.  This is a grass known as Meadow Foxtail (Alopecurus pratensis).  I fell in to the trap of thinking it was the very similar Timothy Grass when we saw it growing along the path, but closer inspection has revealed the mix-up.

2 comments:

Rachel van Heteren said...

Hi Stephen, I'm writing a post on my blog about edible flowers, and I was hoping I could have your permission to share your photo of a burnet blossom in my blog post. I will of course credit you for the photo and link back to your site.

Best,
Rachel van Heteren
rvanheteren@wayfair.com

Stephen's Views said...

Hi Rachel.
You are quite welcome to share my photo and thanks for the credit and link.
Regards,
Stephen