Saturday, 12 September 2009

Lochs

Back to Loch Lubnaig and having been espied by the Red Squirrel, we were further inspected by a small group of Highland Cattle. Here a mother and her calf were, perhaps more interested in posing for the camera, under a fabulous, old Ash tree.
Onward, ever onward! Across the Trossachs to Loch Lomond and down the Western side of this fine Loch. We stopped for lunch a beautiful viewpoint at the small village of Inveruglas. A superb sandwich, with a wonderful view down the loch, what more could we wish for?
Inveruglas is noted for the Hydro-Electric power station to be found here. Massive pipes run down the mountainside from the peak of Ben Vorlich to the loch-side.
Further along, toward the pretty - but far too busy - little village of Luss, there are ample opportunities to take in the magnificent views across the water.
On to Luss for a brief stop and a look at the river, immaginatively called Luss Water, which has its outflow at this point after tumbling down Glen Luss.
To the 'bottom end' of Loch Lomond and the town of Balloch, from where we get a view of Balloch Castle across the Loch. The original castle was built around 1238 by the Earls of Lennox, but the present one was completed in 1808 and is now used as a visitors centre for the Balloch Country Park.
Post a Comment