Thursday, 22 October 2009

North Coast

Down from the high points of the Cap de Formentor, we visited another small fishing village which has become a popular tourist destination, Puerto Pollenca. Despite it's poularity, it remains, somehow, unspoilt and is considered to be one of the best bays in the whole of the Mediterranean.
The sea was so calm on the day we were there you could have been forgiven for thinking it was a lake - particularly as it is difficult to see the opening to the bay and the sea beyond, which gives the whole scene an 'isolated' air.
The lively promenade with the usual mixture of cafes, restaurants, villas and hotels, is dotted with wonderful old pine trees, some of them overhanging the sea, scattering their needles into it.
A little further along the coast and we arrived at the ancient, walled town of Alcudia. The town started life as a Phoenician settlement and was later held by the Greeks before becoming the capitol of the 'Balearis Major' under the Romans in 123BC.
When the Moors took control of the area, they renamed the town al-Kudia, meaning 'on the hill'. Like many Spanish towns, it was sited a little way inland to save it from sea-bound attack.
The small streets within the walls can become (like most places on the island) very busy. Fortunately it was quiet when we were there.
There are two main gates remaining, leading into the old town. Built in the 1400's they are a formidable reminder of times gone by. This gate is known as the Sant Sebastian gate.
A walk along the walls affords some lovely views of the old town and the surrounding countryside.
Post a Comment