Monday 8 October 2018

Long Walk

After completing my rabbit-feeding duties for our neighbour's bunnies this morning, I set out for a long walk through Shipley Country Park. Setting out along the Nutbrook Trail as usual, the colours of Autumn were lovely.
Then it was up and over Shipley Hill, passing the old Hall's Suffragette Wall.
My path then led a short way along Bell Lane before turning off towards the visitors' centre - avoiding several Hornets in the hedges. I have never known there be so many of these rather terrifying wasps about as we've seen this year. Soon after the visitors' centre, I veered off the old paths and onto the new routes which have been laid out where very recently, open-cast mining was devastating the landscape. All a bit different now!
There are some wonderful new paths here and lots of great views too.
Malcolm and I have trodden this section a couple of times, but there was another path which we'd not taken before, so I decided to investigate. Some nice views across the wide-open spaces here too, calling for a panoramic picture.
This new path eventually took me all the way to the village of Smalley, but on the Heanor side, so after turning left along the main road, it was a walk of about half a mile through the village to the southern side, where I rejoined Bell Lane to start my return journey. The first thing which greets the traveller on Bell Lane, is the lovely sight of Smalley Dam.
Then it was past Smalley Lodge...
All the time enjoying the autumn colours.
Soon it was time to change direction again and take a detour through Mapperley Wood, taking me round the reservoir - avoiding more Hornets, this time after the fallen crab apples.
From here, I was back on more familiar paths through Mapperley Village and along Slack Lane back towards home and much-needed sit down. All together, a walk of a little over 9.5 miles.

No comments: