The Hall, built in the 1820's replaced a much older 16th century hall originally built for the Port family.
Much of the 19th century hall was demolished 1920's and after being acquired by Sir Robert McDougall, the remaining hall was given to the National Trust. More information available here.
The Manifold valley provides a much more peaceful walking environment than it's busier neighbour, Dovedale.
The hall grounds and Italian gardens contain many beautiful lime trees and wild flowers. When leaving the grounds we called in at the Church and watched a nuthatch searching for grubs in the crevices of the church walls. The nearby St. Bertram's well has supposedly been supplying fresh water since Saxon times.